Sunday, August 2, 2009

Lay Off

Our work has been going through sets of lay offs due to the economy so it has been a little tough for everyone lately. My husband and I work at the same company so of course, we have a little more to think about. Although it appears both our jobs are secure for now, it is still hard when we are friends with co-workers and know their situations, and then to see them get laid off. The last one that really bothered me was this man who just turned 60. The day after his birthday party work, he was laid off. He was an incredible man and good Christian. From what we are told his wife had medical issues (serious) and he was the only income earner for the family. I know many people in Texas are going though the same situation. (I received a letter from Kay Bailey Hutchison (Congress) who replied to one of my emails. Kay stated one in four Texans is without health insurace, higher then the national average.) I can only pray for this man in hopes he gets a job before his Cobra runs out and his wife is denied care due to lack of medical insurance. I was told by coworkers the director who laid him off said "It was nothing personal, but just business.". I think I realized then I could never be management because I could never lay someone off and walk away from it without a concisous, knowing that I could be literally giving them a death sentence. I know that may sound like an exaggeration, but it's kind of true, and if one person (family member or other) died because of my actions, I am unsure if I could ever forgive myself (even if God would). I would have to lay myself off first. So I guess I'm doomed to be a bottom feeder, but at least I can sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment