Sunday, September 6, 2009

Career Choice

Some days in the midst of this health care crisis I wish I was a doctor or a nurse, I think then I could really make a difference. What can a Engineering Physics grad who has never worked in her own field really do? Well, my indirect manager said I could be a Medical Physicist...but somehow that is not appealing to me right now. I feel like I want to be in the trenches helping people out, but I know that wasn't the path God had for me, so then what is it it? Why do I feel so burdened by the suffering? I don't make googlies of money like the rich and wealthy, I don't even have time to volunteer at my church these days with two children and a full time job. And the tiny things I do here and there which I know are appreciated, I fell like I can't put a dent in anything, like the pain and suffering in the world is just to great. And for me, I never realized how bad it was until I moved here from Canada 5 years ago. I thought the US was just a larger version of Canada...so dead wrong. A few days ago I met this girl who was 17 years old bagging my groceries. She was hobbling along, so I asked her what was wrong, she said she fell out of a tree over a year ago, had been to the doctor, but since then had since re injured her knee a few times. She though she may need an MRI but did not want to ask her parents to foot the bill. I asked her if they had health insurance, she said she thinks they did but somehow she felt it would still cost too much money. I figure their plan may have a high deductible...so here is this girl (by the way she worked evenings and weekends while going to school full time), hobbling along...when she should be out playing with her friends or running (she said she was a runner before the injury). I just walked away and went into my car..what could I do, was I suppose to do something? I feel so helpless, and it appears that I meet someone every week is some type of chronic pain that may be fixable, if given access to medical care. But I am not a doctor...should I have been? Some days I do wish I was, and why not? Sorry to all the doctors who love their job..but my friend unnamed who just graduated from med school said most of her classmates were in it for the money only. She is one if not only one doing it for the love of being a doctor. And on the other side, I only know of nurses who love being nurses...so I am thinking maybe nurses should be doctors, because they appear to have it right. OK..now I am going crazy. Obviously, I am an engineer for a reason, I do have that crazy mathematical mind.

1 comment:

  1. I can completely follow the way your mind goes. This past week, I have left work each day overwhelmed with the stories I have heard about families I know - and others I haven't even met, yet. Sometimes the struggles are so great. I can even come up with great "fixes," but don't have the means or time to bring them about. Like grandparents raising a disabled grandson, who can't afford enough wipes. I know they would be blessed by cloth ones recyced from inexpensive or even used towels and flannel ... and I could even make them. But I don't have the extra time or money to be scouring cloth stores, yardsales or goodwill stores for materials, or time to make them for as many people as need them. Best I can think of is maybe to make suggestions and hope they have someone who can make them for them. Maybe you can do the same? You get great ideas - maybe make encouraging sugestions here of ways to "pay it forward?" I know I was very moved by reading some things you have written here.

    ReplyDelete