Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Few Updates

Farrah has had a high fever the last two days, so I have been at home taking care of her. She finally seems to be getting better, thankfully, just in time ...we are leaving for Canada July 3rd. Thankfully, whatever she had did not spread throughout the house.

I have been trying to follow some of the health care reform proposals during my time off, so today I read the 98 page proposal. It was long an treacherous and I can't remember a lot. I do remember some one of the things that will affect me...taxes on employer benefits. If I remember correctly, my employer pays around 12K for my benefits so that would be about $3000 in additional taxes next year. I think if we were a single payer I would be "ok" with that but knowing an exec at United Health Care got a billion dollar bonus in the last year, kind of makes me a little angry. I mean, why shouldn't he take some of the burden. He may even get richer off the new plan. Well, I suppose that is life, but I have told my husband we would have to readjust our free spending to account for the loss of $250 month. Sadly probably cut back on donations (boo hoo), eat out less, and keep fixing our house up to a minimum. He laughed at me but I was serious, I mean the next time someone at work asks for a donation for the heart walk, he is to say "no". Someone is always asking for money at work for this fundraiser or that and it adds up. It's not like we won't donate anything, we always have clothes and items given to us we pass on.

No comments:

Post a Comment