Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Small Car Incident

Yesterday my husband and I drove to work together, I opted to drop him off and go to get gas and money. On the way back from the gas station the front tire popped which left me driving on the rim. I pulled over from a busy intersection and after frantic phone calls (calling work and letting them know I would be late), started the process of getting my spare out. Well, in the next minute two men who could barely speak English came by and changed my tire in a few minutes. I offered them money, then would not take they said in broken English, someday someone will do something nice for me.

Now lets go back a few years.

When I was 9 months pregnant with my daughter I was driving home from work and suddenly ran over a role of carpet laying in the road. The carpet hooked onto the bottom of my car. I was able to pull over to the side of the road at the entrance of a fairly expensive community (Home probably from the 250's). In my distress between being able to find a sharp object in the emergency kit and roling back and forth over the carpet, I was able to get enough of the carpet unattached from the bottom of my car but it took a looong time. Since I was pregant, I couldn't get under the car, and I had to reposition myself around the car and stretch my arms out so hard they hurt. It is important to note that at least 20 cars drove into that community that night, maybe more. Not one person stopped to see if a 9 month old pregnant women needed some help.

OK, so yesterday I learned something. We all have something to learn from the men in the first paragraph and these men (although could be illegal) in their kindness have made living in the US a better place like the good Samaritian, while as the rich from the second paragraph offerred nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment